Our Sustainability Approach
“Simply put, the challenges we face today are too great for any one organization—or sector—to solve alone. It is only by working together in new forms of partnership, based on trust and transparency, that we can hope to bring about the kind of scale that is needed for truly transformational change.”
PAUL POLMAN, NON-EXEC DIRECTOR
& CO-AUTHOR OF NET POSITIVE
With a clear focus, we’re building the foundations to deliver our vision to be the top-five family-owned businesses with a nature positive portfolio by 2030.
From a sustainability perspective our mission is to be listed amongst the global top five wholly-owned family businesses in terms of our contribution to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and impactful giving.
With strategic direction at group-level our decentralised sustainability approach allows each of our portfolio companies to focus on the SDGs that make the most difference in their industry, and at their current stage of maturity.
This framework guides all the companies in Al-Dabbagh Group to establish their own materiality, set their own goals and deliver positive impact in the best way they can. The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) provide focus while Global Reporting Indicators (GRI) measure our progress on environmental, social, economic and governance. As signatories to the UN Global Compact (UNGC), we are committed to the ten principles of good corporate citizenship, set out here.
Our focus areas
- Waste ManagementWe aim to decrease our carbon footprint by improving our travel efficiency and last mile delivery, clubbing deliveries, carpooling, online meetings, and other initiatives.
- Logistics EfficiencyWe manage, segregate, and recycle our waste in all our different sectors. Our group companies innovate and invest in sustainable initiatives that create value from our waste discharge.
- Water Recycle / ReuseWe monitor our water usage, find new solutions to reduce and improve our water usage, and/ or reuse/recycled/treat wastewater as fit for businesses’ industries.
- Energy EfficiencyWe monitor our electricity and energy consumption quarterly and implement solutions that help reduce our electricity usage. And we aim to implement renewable energy solutions.
Our focus areas
- Health & WellnessWe prioritize the health and satisfaction of our employees by providing competitive benefits and complying with health & safety regulations; alongside improving safety measures across our range of business operations.
- Talent DevelopmentWe invest in our people; providing our employees with proper educational and job training programs aiming to develop and improve their professional & personal skills.
- Women in LeadershipWe support women empowerment in our businesses; offering females the opportunity to lead and occupy senior positions to expand their expertise. In addition to providing equal employment rights for females in all positions.
- Labor Rights & Responsible SourcingWe respect human rights, and we stand against any unethical practices in the workplace and across our value chain. We continuously monitor any workplace complaints to improve and create better workplace conditions for all employees.
Our focus areas
- Job CreationWe create projects, initiatives, partnerships, and platforms that contribute to creating a wide range of job opportunities.
- Community SupportWe sponsor social, environmental, cultural, and other sustainable events marked in our Sustainability Calendar. We support NGOs and other organizations that align with our values including but not limited to: quality education, and hunger elimination. We also encourage the communities we serve to participate in giving back via our social projects through donations, volunteering, and other acts.
- Diversity & InclusionWe implement a fair recruitment process which encourages diversity by selecting candidates with proper qualifications rather than basing decisions on their gender, race, nationality, language, age, religion, etc..
Our Sustainability Goals
Accountability and oversight across a diverse portfolio
The Sustainability Council is formed by Sustainability Leads from Al-Dabbagh Group’s six verticals. There is considerable diversity across industries and sustainability maturity so they meet quarterly to share learnings and insights, discuss challenges and pool resources to deliver bigger impact, faster.
Progress across the group’s portfolio is measured through GRI indicators that each company reports on quarterly.
Our Decentralised Approach
Our decentralised approach means our portfolio companies are all at different stages of maturity in their sustainability journey. We use the framework described above to reduce bureaucracy and enable each company to focus on their most material issues while the five stages of Al-Dabbagh Group sustainability journey help us monitor and support portfolio businesses as they progress towards maturity.
- Stage 1
RIGHT THINGFocused on establishing a shared understanding of sustainability.
- Stage 2
ManagingManaging to remove, reduce and better managing risk and negative impact.
- Stage 3
OptimisingOptimising the business for sustainability scientifically across scopes 1, 2 and 3.
- Stage 4
GrowingGrowing the business through more sustainable innovation.
- Stage 5
TransformingTransforming business models, sectors and systems.